.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Rough Week for Grandpa

My uncle mike took my grandma, uncle don and aunt diane over to tampa to visit my grandpa today. My grandpa has been having anxiety attacks whenever nobody is there visiting, which makes his heart rate go up. He's retaining water, so his limbs have been really swollen. He's been constipated and has been getting enemas daily. Today he had trouble breathing, so he was put on oxygen. The oxygen dries out his throat and makes it uncomfortable for him. He still has the external pace-maker and he's still in Intensive Care. His recovery is slow and it seems a new problem arises each day.

My grandma is having a hard time. At first, it was just because she hadn't been able to see him until today. However, now that she's seen his rough condition she's taking it pretty hard. None of us really expected my grandpa to be in the hospital for this long, so now we're taking on additional roles to help grandma out around the house. Mike's helping to figure out what bills need to be paid. Dad's cutting their grass. Mom will be taking grandma bra shopping because she got lost when she tried to drive herself and never made it to the mall. Kelly will be cooking a dinner for her this week. I'm taking grandma grocery shopping tomorrow. I'm sure Leigha and Kim will fill in somewhere.

Mom, Leigha and I picked up my grandpa's older brother, Len, from the airport tonight. Len will be going over to visit grandpa everyday this week. I really hope this will be the boost of hope my grandpa needs to kick start recovery.  We kids may be taking turns driving Len over to visit grandpa so that Mike and dad can get some work done this week. So far, my dad hasn't wanted us to visit because grandpa sits around with no pants on... so we're stuck respecting this decision.

My head is anywhere, but in the game of school. I'm finding it hard to concentrate because my mind is someplace else.