.

Monday, September 8, 2014

My New Hobby

Even though I'm in the middle of taking three classes this semester, I've decided to add another subject to my plate of things to learn, drawing. Now, if you know me, you know my ability to draw consists of a smiley face, stick people, a flower, and a bird.  Well, that's about to change. I've purchased a kit that includes different kinds of pencils, a sketch pad and a book called 'The Art of Drawing.'  I had no idea there are so many different ways to hold a pencil and numerous shading techniques. Today, I drew a horse.




First, I made a grid on my sketch pad, and then I blocked out the horse. The photo to the right has an outlined head and a blocked out body. By this point I evaluated it and thought there is no way I can draw because even my blocking looks horrible, but I kept with it.




After I finished blocking, I began outlining it. That's when it really started coming together. Yeah, I drew skinny ass legs, but I was impressed with my outline. The outline looked way better than the blocking did.






Once I was done outlining, I started to shade. I used a dull No. 2 pencil because I haven't been to the store to buy a pencil sharpener and a proper eraser, so that's all I had to work with. When I need a pencil at school, I borrow one from the testing center. I am impressed with the finished horse I drew. I can't wait to improve and see how proper drawing tools enhance the techniques I'm learning.