.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

My Medical Cocktail

First on the list of ingredients in my medical cocktail is a probiotic prescription. It's VSL#3 DS. You can get VSL#3 over the counter, but since I've got the DS (double strength) it requires a prescription. It comes it powder form and I mix it into juice twice a day to consume 900 billion live bacteria. It tastes like rubber gloves, but I've been managing to choke it down. The bacteria in my gut is messed up because my body attacks the good bacteria. This causes inflammation and Crohn's symptoms. Now that I'm on two antibiotics my gut is going through a rollercoaster of trying to sort the good and bad bacteria effectively to fight the right bacteria, so this probiotic is suppose to give it a boost. My honest opinion is that I should have been prescribed this probiotic a while ago regardless of whether I'm on antibiotics or not.

Second on the list of ingredients in my medical cocktail is an antibiotic called Flagyl (Metronidazole 500 MG). I'm taking it every eight hours, so three times a day. I used to take Flagyl about ten years ago when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's, so I have experience with it. It causes cancer in mice and rats. I'm not surprised because it seems like every drug I take causes cancer. Alcohol is forbidden while taking Flagyl and for at least three days after the last dose. Trust me, I'm not drinking anytime soon. Flagyl may affect certain lab test results.  I've been known to feel dizzy while taking Flagyl, which is another side-effect. Because of that my mom has volunteered to drive me to school this week, and I'll hitch a ride to work with my sisters. Other possible side-effects include: persistent nerve problems, appetite loss, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, metallic taste, nausea, stomach upset or cramping, and trouble sleeping among others. The ones that I experience most are dizziness and nausea. Especially in a moving car.

The last ingredient in my medical cocktail is another antibiotic. This one is called Ciprofloxacin HCL 750 MG. I'm taking it every twelve hours, so twice a day. This drug came with eight pages of patient information. I've also taken Ciprofloxacin before, but I've never taken it at the same time as Flagyl. The key with this one is to drink plenty of water and to avoid caffeine. This drug scares me because it's known for it's increased risk of tendon problems. As a runner that's terrifying. These risks include pain, swelling, inflammation, and possible breakage of tendons. The Achilles tendon in the back of the foot/ankle is  most often affected. This medicine may cause drowsiness, dizziness and lightheadedness. (yes, I feel like I'm experiencing brain fog. My mind isn't sharp and I'm finding it difficult to focus.) I'm supposed to avoid the sun while on this med because I'll burn more easily. Other side-effects include: diarrhea, dizziness, and nausea.

I've also been taking an Epson salt bath once a day to soak the tender area down below. Overall, my butt pain was relieved  a little today. I'm moving a little better and the pain isn't as sharp. The swelling around my anus and to my panty line has gone down tremendously. The abscess is still releasing a discharge though. I'm not sure which drug is responsible for me actually remembering my dream last night, but I quite enjoyed it. I dreamt I was jumping on the bed with Jim Parsons, the guy who plays Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory.  After jumping on the bed for what seemed like hours, we proceeded to run around a park in our PJs popping bubbles with the joy a puppy has at the sniff of a treat. Can't wait to see what tonight's dream will be.