.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Life is Unpredictable

          Yesterday, I decided to cancel my trip to Texas. The major deciding factor was that we still have no clue when the funeral is going to be. (I have a $430 credit with Southwest that's good for a year, so I get to plan a replacement vacation soon.)  Dad isn't the best at communicating, so it's been a slow process of dealing with the hospital, funeral home and finding out if grandma has any input she wants to add, which she as made clear she wants no part in planning it. Autopsy or no autopsy, open or closed casket, viewing, memorial, funeral and/or burial? Selecting burial plots and caskets are difficult decisions. My dad asked me this morning if I would be willing to write grandpa's obituary. I'm all for challenging writing prompts, but not like this one. I silently regretted my decision to agree to write his obituary. Thankfully, I came up with a list of optional facts about grandpa to mention in the obituary and gave it to my dad and uncle mike. Since we're limited to a certain number of lines once they tell me what they want mentioned, it should make my job a little easier. I'll just have to put the info and facts into sentences with kind sentiments if space allows.

          Death is very messy emotionally, physically, and materialistically. I couldn't contain my emotions when I spoke with my professor yesterday about grandpa. I sobbed so much that she didn't need a "documented" reason for me to miss the exam this week. My tears were proof enough, I guess. Heck, she was so nice she even gave me a hug. I cried today while I was thinking about grandpa on my way to school. I'm grateful I had the chance to take him to a UCF football and baseball game. I loved showing him around my school. He was my valentine this year when I took him to the UCF baseball game for opening knight on valentine's day. Materialistically, there are so many things to sort out: Activate his life insurance, cancel his credit cards, dispose of all his meds at the police department, transfer all of the bills into grandma's name, transfer car title into grandma's name, contact social security... help grandma learn how to pay bills.