.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

I Cried a River

          My Grandpa Ace's brother, Len, came into town Friday morning for the three hour viewing that night and the funeral on Saturday. Grandma Ace and Len emotionally embraced when he arrived at grandma's house. It stirred me deep because they probably had the closest relationship with my Grandpa. My Grandma's sisters and nieces from Jacksonville came, too. Along with Grandma's four children and seven grandchildren to add to the support system. Friends and family friends were all an added bonus.

          I wasn't sure what to expect for the viewing. I just knew I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of seeing his dead body.  We all walked into the funeral home together, signed the guest book and entered the chapel where Grandpa was in his casket. Beautiful bouquet's and stands of flowers sent by family and friends surrounded the open casket draped with a flag. A slide show of pictures played to the side. Tears rolled uncontrollably. Grandma, Uncle Don, my Dad and Uncle Mike alternated between standing and sitting in the front row pew to greet people and accept their condolences. Uncle Len took the second row behind Grandma with Grandma's sisters. Aunt Dianne, Uncle Merle, Shaun and Merle's mom sat awkwardly on the opposite side of the pews that seemed like a world away. My mom, myself and the rest of the grandchildren sat in the third and fourth rows behind Uncle Len. Folks trickled in to pay respect to grandpa and his family. As time went on I moved to sit with my Uncle Len so that we could console each other. Len's wife doesn't fly, so he made the trip alone. One of grandpa's golf buddies put a golf ball in with Grandpa. This inspired Len to want to put a baseball in with him, so one of my dad's friends brought a baseball. All of the family signed the baseball and Len was honored to put it in Grandpa's left hand since he was a lefty. The whole event was emotional, but especially to witness other's reactions and love for Grandpa and to see how much pain Grandma and Uncle Len were experiencing.  Emotions were also heightened for me whenever someone I knew came... folks from work, family and neighbors. People care and that touches me.

          I had a better idea of how the funeral was going to go because I helped with it. As soon as we walked into the church the waterworks started for Uncle Len, which in turn made me lose it. Grandpa's flag draped casket was front and center surrounded by the same beautiful flowers as the night before. I was too much of a mess to properly greet friends. I cried harder when I saw them because it meant a lot to know they cared enough to show up. No one probably noticed the music playing before the service started, but I made that play list (Blessed Assurance - Matthew West, Homesick - MercyMe and Home Free - Wayne Watson). The Chaplin opened with a prayer. Following the prayer he read the bio of grandpa I wrote. It made my day when he said the word 'booger.' Next, we watched a slide show of pictures and then listened to the song How Great Thou Art by Michael W. Smith. The Chaplin preached about how Heaven is grandpa's next chapter, which was followed by the song Amazing Grace by Chris Tomlin. During this song, was the first time I ever saw my dad cry. The service ended with a prayer. It was short and bitter sweet. I couldn't make my way to Uncle Len fast enough. I knew he needed a hug as did I. I also selected the postlude play list (Save a Place for Me - Matthew West and See You Again - Carrie Underwood). Friends came and hugged me afterwards. I wasn't much company to keep... I don't even think I said anything to anyone. Following the funeral, we went to the grave site for the burial. My eyes started crying again when two men in uniform folded an American flag and presented it to my Grandma.