.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Being Worth Knowing

Am I worth knowing? Yes! Perhaps my value slightly varies in different relationships, but I hope some core values are similar. Here's a short list of benefits I think I give to the lucky few that know me.
  • I try to be positive and uplifting. I will never intentionally bring you down.
  • I'm a great encourager and motivator, so share your goals, dreams and fears with me.
  • I'm outgoing, love trying new things, and I'm versatile in that I'm always down for staying in.
  • I'm actually a great, non-judgmental listener.  Let me be your solutions partner.
  • I'm dependable. You can count on me.
  • I'm honest and strive to act with integrity. You won't be ashamed to know me.
  • I love sharing my sense of humor and craziness.
  • I need you! I'm interested in you. I want to know you. Plus, I have problems of my own and I need others to reciprocate the support and interest.
Am I worth knowing? Of course, I think I am. Interestingly, I don't think everyone is worthy of getting to know me though. Wow, that makes me sound vain. Am I digging myself in a hole, or am I making any sense?  If I'm interested in knowing you, I must think you're worthy of knowing me. I don't want to give the benefits to someone that will take advantage of them. However, I want my friends and family to take advantage of these benefits because I know they are worth the relational investment.  I want my relationships to be a two way street.

What makes me worth knowing? What makes me worthy of knowing you? Are the answers to these two questions similar?