.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

It's That Time Again

It's time to make a training schedule and start training for a marathon. Physically, I feel amazing.  No matter how often I dislike my body and all its issues, I am always amazed at how well it can perform athletically given a certain degree of health and preparation. I've only ran once since March 22nd. Sadly, I'm what folks in the sport call 'out of shape.' I have exactly 206 days to prepare for the marathon I'm registered for.  206 days is plenty of time to go from out of shape, barely able to run a mile without stopping, to marathon runner. Isn't that amazing? I don't follow any particular training plan. I've read a few books on the subject of marathon training though. Overall, I like to make a tentative training plan with wiggle room to adjust mileage with how I'm feeling. I also don't intend to train for over 18 miles. Yes, I know a marathon is 26.2 miles. So, what about those other 8.2 miles? Maybe one day I'll train for all of the miles, but not this time. Honestly, 18 miles is enough as long as I'm not going for a personal record.

I mentioned above that I feel amazing physically; however, mentally is a different story. I know running is as much mental as it is physical. That's why I'm hoping running will help strengthen my mentality.  Lately, I feel like I've lost confidence in myself, others and circumstances. I feel like I've lost control of my emotions. I really hate not being able to stop the tears that fall from my eyes. I also hate not always knowing what caused them to fall in the first place. I try not to give in to it all. I'm kind of going through the motions of faking it until I make it out of this funk. Fake it until I make...It's worked for me before.