.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Stand Up Paddle Boarding and a Pathetic Goodbye

          After I took my last final of the semester on Saturday, I didn't take a nap. I went on a two hour paddle board tour with Taylor in Merritt Island on the Canaveral Barge Canal. I felt shittier than shit. I woke up the day before with a cold. I had a terrible headache that nothing would cure and being in the bright sun made it worse. I didn't eat much of anything all day because I've had the craps lately and I didn't want to have to crap while I was in the middle of nowhere on the paddle board. Could you imagine? Oh yeah, and that thing called energy is still avoiding me like I'm the plague. Any other time I would have asked Taylor for a lazy day, but I couldn't this time. She's moving away in two days, so I wanted to spend time with her doing something we'd remember.



          If you've never been paddle boarding, I totally recommend doing it. The feeling of the wind hitting my face as I paddled through the water was liberating. I experienced a rush when waves from boats rocked the board I stood on. I let out a few unrestricted screams of delight along the way. How great it was to paddle along side Taylor. I think we will be paddling along side each other in this life for many decades to come.  We got to see three manatees fucking, literally. They rolled around in the water like wild animals. One even swam right along side of my board for a bit. It was very cool. Our guide said that since it's mating season they like to get friendly with the kayaks and paddle boards. On the way back, we had to paddle against the current and against the wind. I was exhausted and didn't seem to be moving anywhere fast, so the guide in the kayak was kind enough to give me a tow back to the dock. I am so weak that it's annoying.

          Taylor and I were supposed to go to dinner after we got back to her place, but I was fatigued, indescribably tired and didn't feel well so I went home to go to bed instead. I know, it was a pathetic goodbye. I guess it's a good thing I don't ever say goodbye to people I want to stay in my life. I say see ya because it's like a promise that I'll see you later . Unwanted tears found my cheeks on the car ride back to my place because I'm sad she's moving. Then I scolded myself for being selfish. I'm selfless, too.  I'm glad she's found a new job with great potential of moving to the top quickly. I'm not only excited that she's starting a different chapter of her life, but I'm also happy that she'll be beginning another chapter with her boyfriend by moving in with him.  I admire her courage in this life-changing move.

Dear Taylor,

I can’t say that I’m not a little sad
I can’t act like you’re not the bestest friend I have
I can’t say please don’t go. Don’t go and leave
I can’t ask you to stay in this old town for me 

I can say best of luck. I’m excited for you
I can sing our song because I believe it's true
I can say you should go and chase your dreams
I can ask you to never forget about me
 
Your wings are ready and so am I
Your next chapter awaits
May you find much success in Sunrise
As you go on your way
Spread your wings and don’t forget to fly