.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Inspiration at the Right Time

On my first day of summer break, I spent some time reflecting. I began wondering how I have managed to come so far. However, I cut myself off and wondered if I've even come that far at all. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but other times I feel like I have found who I want to be. For me, it all comes down to people inspiring me at the right time.

After high school, no one I knew challenged me to search for what I wanted out of life. Though one person, my sister, Leigha, unknowingly challenged me to evaluate what I didn't want out of life. In 2008, her and I had a huge argument that we have never fully recovered from. What I took out of it was that she was under the impression that I couldn't do anything in life without her. As if I wasn't able to function without her by my side. I applied for the Spring 2009 semester at Valencia Community College to pursue some sort of A.S. degree a couple weeks after the incident because I wanted to prove to her that I am my own person.  I had no clue what I was doing, but I spent a lot of time distancing myself from her. I don't regret it. Little did I realize at the time that my inspiration to challenge myself came directly from my biggest antagonist. To her I owe my success.

When I started, I had no idea if I would really ever graduate from Valencia. Thankfully, I met perhaps the smartest lady I've ever met during my first semester at Valencia. Jill Sebacher was my English Comp professor. After a few conversations with her, I was inspired to change my major to an A.A. in general studies to "keep my options open" so that I could go on to pursue a bachelor's degree if I wanted to. At this point in my college career I really didn't have any interest in getting a bachelor's. The idea daunted me, but I changed my major. After all, she is brilliant. I took classes at a slow, part time pace. Semester after semester, I kept registering for classes. Except I refused to take classes during the summer, so I always had a nice, long summer break while I was at Valencia. A Direct Connect representative from UCF spoke during one of my government classes at Valencia. With Sebacher's wisdom of not selling myself short in the back of my mind, I filled out an application. Though I didn't really have any intention of going to UCF... but just in case. To her I owe my success.

In the Fall of 2011, I met this super friendly girl in my meteorology class named Taylor. She was a girl with a plan. I was a girl making it up as I went along. We began eating lunch together after class two days a week and hanging out whenever we had free time. We talked about anything and everything. She challenged me to search for what I want out of life.  And, when we got on the topic of our future academic plans, she inspired me to see an advisor... which I had never none before. The advisor helped me figure out what classes I needed to take in order to graduate with her in May 2012. I took five classes in the spring of 2012 in order to graduate! She inspired me to transfer to UCF. To her I owe my success.

I'm on track to graduate with my bachelor's in finance in May 2015. So, I'm keeping a keen eye open to find inspiration for my next chapter in searching for a job/career. Obviously, I owe my success to others who have supported me through my academic career. They may not have been where my inspiration originated from, but family and friends have inspired me to keep going. I want to pay it forward, so I'm stepping up to hopefully inspire others to challenge themselves. I want to be a mentor to those who are in the shoes I wore in 2008. Don't underestimate yourself and don't sell yourself short. Be a visionary of the future and then take action to be the change you want to see.