.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Makes Me Wonder...

One thing about my history with Crohn's is that I've never been to the hospital because of it. I follow others and their journeys with this disease and so often I read about them going to the hospital or ER. It makes me wonder how bad it has to get in order to get to that point. Is that point different for everyone?  Trust me, I'm fortunate I've never gotten to that point. It's difficult to believe sometimes that it could be worse. I fear the first time I have to go to the hospital because of Crohn's. I'm also aware that my relationships with my doctors are confusing. I'm not sure when exactly or even if I'm supposed to notify them of rapid symptom changes. Do they even care? Really, what can they do about it? More drugs? More diagnostic testing to find "active disease"? More needles? More medical bills? My somewhat ignorant philosophy is that I'll eventually get better on my own without all that crap, so I'll wait the bad shit out.  I'm not sure how bad it would have to get in order for me to seek medical attention on my own. It'd have to be worse than last week and that's scary to think about. Here's to hoping I never have to find out.

Is being out of the hospital in serious pain better than being in the hospital with manageable pain? I'm always self conscious about my pain tolerance. As if the level of pain I feel is actually less than what I think I feel. What level of pain gets credibility in the medical world. Am I a wimp? Or is there any validity to the high level of pain I sometimes feel?