.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Stressed Out and Unable to Run

I was doing some research and I found an article on Healthline that stated, "...abscesses occur in about one-fourth of people with Crohn's disease. Abscesses often need to be drained, or surgery may sometimes be suggested." Usually, I avoid doing research like this because the results stress me out. I find myself to be in the one quarter of patients with Crohn's disease that has had an abscess occur. Those aren't good odds.  It feels like I definitely drew the short end of the stick. 

According to CCFA "...up to 75% of people with Crohn's disease will eventually require surgery." I know surgery is a real possibility, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm in denial about that possibility. It freaks me out that an abscess may lead to needing surgery.


I haven't ran since my awesome three mile run last Saturday. The pain from the abscess has had me sidelined.  I know this won't likely be my only roadblock on my journey to the NYC Marathon finish line, so I'm taking it in stride. I listened to my body earlier this week and rested rather than pushing through the pain and going for a run. I'm listening to my Doctors so that I can get better as soon as possible. My motivation is still through the roof! Mentally, I'm feeling stronger than ever, so the abscess and antibiotics are not getting me down. Surprisingly, I feel postitive and I'm determined to get back on track once I feel better.