.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Thanks, Universe, for Your Impeccable Timing

I ran the IOA Corporate 5K today with Wharton-Smith. Most of the employees got to our tent area pretty early so that we could find parking. It was great running into friends and meeting other employees. I got to talking to one of the guys from work. I've never had the friendly back and forth banter with a stranger like I had with this guy.  He told me a short story about his name and I told him a shorter story about my name. He made a funny comment about something and I said, "Whatever floats your swan boat." You should have seen him laugh. (We were at Lake Eola, so the swan boat comment wasn't quite as cheesy as it sounds... or maybe it was. haha)  This banter went on for a while until I said I was going to make my way to the start line and he followed me. As the race started he shrieked with excitement and I joined in with a high pitched "WHOO!" In that moment, his gaze was captivating.  I lost the witty co-worker in the crowd of 20K people once the race started. It's hard to explain. His excitement for the race was contagious.  It was innocent and fun. However, afterward I thought: The universe's impeccable timing decided a week before I get ass surgery is the time to meet a guy. STUPID!

I ran a decent 5K considering the week I've had. I finished in 34.12 and my company gave all of their employees that finished a Fitbit. I wish I felt better to stick around for the after party, but the antibiotics I'm taking had me feeling nauseous. After getting my Fitbit, I went back to the finish line for a little while before leaving. Finish lines are so inspiring!