.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Social Media Trend - Ice Cubes, Buckets, and Water

Unless, you live under a rock I'm sure you've heard and seen people all over social media accepting the ALS - Ice Bucket Challenge. I'm not a hater, I'm just disappointed that this huge, viral campaign to raise awareness and funds for the horrible disease called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also called Lou Gehrig's disease has turned into just mentioning the letters ALS before dumping a bucket of ice water on your head. How many of these ice dumpers have actually looked up to learn more about the disease? How many of these ice dumpers even considered donating to the cause? Watch this video for a better understanding: http://youtu.be/JNZcC_3YLuo  I was shocked to learn that the average life expectancy after diagnosis is from two to five years. I can bitch all I want to about Crohn's, but I can almost say with certainty that Crohn's will not kill me within the next five years.

I also wonder why the ALS Association hasn't received way more donations than $15.6 million with how many wealthy celebrities that have "taken" the challenge. I am now aware of ALS. I heard about it through the challenge videos folks are posting,  but I learned about it by researching it myself. I've seen very few creative ice water dumps. It's like watching the same thing over and over again. I can criticize all day long, but when it comes down to it I haven't done it yet. I was just nominated by two of my cousins, which is what sparked this topic. Basically, this post is to build hype about my challenge video I'm hoping to post on Friday and to inspire you to learn more about ALS like I did.

I will kind of participate in the ALS - Ice Bucket Challenge by making a video or two and eventually mentioning it. I am now aware of ALS. No, I do not plan to donate to the cause because I have another cause that's near and dear to my heart and wallet. I plan to make my challenge video funny. In fact, I've  already started working on the script. I hope to raise awareness and at the very least I hope to raise a laugh.

Read more about ALS and/or make a donation here:  http://www.alsa.org/about-als/