.

Monday, August 18, 2014

First Day of Fall 2014 Semester: Portfolio Analysis and Management

My first class of the semester was Portfolio Analysis and Management.  My professor, Dr. Honghui Chen, has a heavy Chinese accent, but I think within a few classes I'll get used to understanding him. This is a senior level class and I could already tell that it's going to work my brain in different ways. There are moments in these upper level classes that I wonder how the heck I've come so far. They are daunting sometimes, but thankfully I'm willing to prepare in order to succeed. I'm learning to better ponder in class questions before coming to a conclusion because my first conclusion is most likely too simple minded for these complex questions. I sat in the front row like usual and Dr. Chen called on me to answer a couple questions. I shined with my knowledge of international finance and exchange rate triangular arbitrage, which I learned over the summer in my international financial management class. I stumbled with the rest of my classmates on a question that was almost like a riddle, which involved finding the shortest distance between two points on a cube. Overall, he made the first class so much fun that the hour and fifteen minutes flew by.

After class, I went home and took a five hour nap. My head hurts so bad that I wish it would fall off. Medicine doesn't seem to be helping me through this cold. I had every intention of running around campus after class, but my head was pounding too much to go through with it. Seriously, tears fell from my eyes on and off all day today from my sinus pressure. I couldn't control it.  Perhaps I'll be up for it after class on Wednesday.