.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Girl's Worst Nightmare

          Over the weekend, a girl’s worst nightmare happened to me. In the shower Sunday night, I felt flakey skin on my scalp while I was washing my hair. When I got out of the shower, I pulled on the flakey part of my scalp off and to my surprise a HUGE clump of hair came with it. It didn’t hurt and it didn’t itch. In an instant I had bald spot the size of my fist on the left side of my head. I’ve been through a lot health wise, so I didn’t freak out. I just went to bed because I had a big interview the next day and I wanted my rest.

          Monday morning, I took a look at my scalp in the mirror. I’ve already got my share of gray hair. What I found was a scary sized bald spot to go with it. I’m 26 years old.  In my grandma’s words, “You’re too young to have bald spots.” I went to the doctor today and he said the condition is known as Alopecia Areata. It’s a hair loss condition characterized by the rapid onset of hair loss in a sharply defined area. The cause is uncertain, but it’s an autoimmune condition where the immune system attacks the hair follicles. I don’t have any answers right now. I have to make an appointment with a dermatologist to get treatment. The dermatologist will likely take a biopsy of my scalp to confirm the condition. Treatment will likely require steroid injections in the affected area of my scalp (OUCH) to help promote growth. What I’ve read so far is that treatment outcomes are unpredictable as far as growth is concerned.
          Right now, I’m kind of in shock. I’m not in love with my hair, but I sure don’t want to go bald. I’ll be looking into buying a wig so that I won’t have to worry about covering the bald spot with what hair I have left. I’m emotional, I’m freaked out and I’m annoyed with my body. I’ll blog more about it once I get in to see a dermatologist.