.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I'm Looking for a Bigger Pond

A few weeks ago a colleague told me that a fish can only grow as big as its pond. The same colleague suggested that I look for not just a pond big enough to reach my potential, but an ocean vast enough to challenge it. I'd been getting hints from family and some friends that selling cars was selling myself short in my true ability.  Without any job offers on the table, I turned in my resignation yesterday as a Sales and Leasing Consultant at Classic Mazda. My last day will be May 31st. I do want to mention that my time with Classic Mazda has been a great experience. I truly appreciate the opportunity to learn about the automotive industry and the opportunity to learn about sales.  However, I'm looking to utilize my educational background in my next position.

Am I bold, ballsy, or completely irresponsible to quit without a current job offer on the table? Honestly, the work schedule with Classic Mazda left me very little time to look for and interview for open positions. I had an interview early in the week, but it passed me by because the opportunity wanted me to have more experience. I had a phone interview with FBC Mortgage yesterday and they will be scheduling an in person interview for next week. I'm still seeking out opportunities.

It feels like I made the right decision because I already feel happier even with the uncertainty of the future. I want to thank my family and all the friends I contacted to consult in this difficult decision. Your advice and support is much appreciated.