.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

My Fear of Failing Has Disappeared

When I first registered for College and began taking my first classes in the spring of 2009, I had a huge fear of failing. I thought: What if I'm not smart enough? What if I don't pass? What if I don't do well? Looking back it was an irrational fear to have and I'm glad it didn't stop me from trying. Throughout my college education I've consistently been at the top of my classes. Early on I had a very wise professor explain that the only way you can fail college is to quit and stop trying.  Somewhere along the way my fear of failing turned into a fear of getting less than an A on an assignment or in the course overall. Suddenly, I not only did not want to fail, but I also didn't want to get anything less than the very best possible grades. I put wicked pressure on myself to work hard and be the best.

I try to be a role model for the people in my life. Recently I've noticed that other people in my life have their own fears. With my graduation from UCF imminent, I've been reflecting on how much I've grown during my college education. I don't know that I am smarter. However, I certainly know that I am better prepared to take on the world. My fear of failure has been replaced with a fear of not trying. Now, I think: What if I don't try? What if  I don't seek new opportunities? If I don't try and if I don't seek new opportunities, I'm afraid my college education will go to waste.

I'll be graduating with more confidence than when I started. I'll be graduating with a sense of hunger to seek opportunities. Fear will not hold me back because I no longer have a fear of failing. I know I will not quit and I will not stop trying. If I can make it through this whole higher education circuit, then I feel anyone can. I don't have a super brain. I just work hard.