.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Seemingly Qualified Urologist

I had my new patient appointment with a urologist today. When the nice nurse lady asked why I was there, I explained I was there to schedule pre-op tests ordered by my colorectal surgeon. The doctor didn't try to offer a different course of treatment, he accepted the pre-determined course and asked if he could call my surgeon to verify exactly what images/results we are looking to take away from the tests. My urologist used his cell phone to call my surgeon on the spot. After he left a message for my surgeon, he explained that he prefers calling to get answers rather than e-mailing or writing letters. I went into the appointment thinking I was going to some podunk urologist in Clermont, but at this point I was seriously impressed and thrilled to have found a seemingly qualified urologist.

We discussed the two tests (cystoscopy and cystogram) I was there to schedule. Both tests put me at risk of getting blood infections due to the colovesical fistula. He mentioned that he and every urologist in the country would not perform the tests without putting me on antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection. I voiced my uncertainty about being allowed to take antibiotics this close to surgery. I countered that if the risks are pretty high, should we even consider moving forward with the tests. Blood infections are nothing to take lightly. Once my uncle got a blood infection, it ruined his chances at surviving what ailed him before getting the infection (he died). My doc assertively recalled that I work in risk management, and said the risk should be analyzed.  Without antibiotics, the risk of getting a blood infection is about 40%; whereas with antibiotics, the risk is only about 5%.  When my surgeon calls him back, he will confirm that it's okay for me to be on antibiotics. I also called the Cleveland Clinic and they confirmed that I can take the antibiotics my urologist prescribes.

  • My cystoscopy is scheduled for Wednesday, November 8th. I have to arrive at 9:30am to receive a shot of antibiotics and the procedure will start at 10:30am.
  • I have to call SimonMed or an Orlando Health radiology facility to schedule my cystogram. I've already picked up antibiotics from the pharmacy and will take them the day before, the day of, and the day after my procedure.
Before I left, my urologist asked me how I found his practice. I told him that I called numerous urology groups and his offered the soonest new patient appointment.  Perhaps he was disappointed I didn't select him for his reputation or qualifications.

The best part about the whole appointment was that I only had to drop my pants to pee in a cup!  It made me wonder why gastros and colorectals don't collect stool samples at every visit.