.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

My Ass Cannot Catch a Break

Last week, I had a chest x-ray scheduled on Tuesday. When the nurse checked my vitals, she informed me that my doc was going to be sending me to an imaging center to get my chest x-rayed so that a radiologist could view the images and conclude the findings. We decided to do the other pre-op clearance stuff instead. I had eaten prior to my appointment that morning, so we couldn't do the required pre-op lab work. At least we were able to do the EKG. For the EKG, my pants stayed on! It was a nice change from most appointments.  My doc couldn't retrieve the EKG results while I was there because their system was down. According to my doc, my blood pressure is equivalent to blood pressure of fourteen year olds (amazing!). He also raved about how happy he is to see me weigh in at 160lbs!  160lbs feels awesome to me, too! Of the many things I'm worried about post-surgery, weight loss is one of them. Right now, I feel strong physically as well as mentally. In the past, losing weight had a way of fucking up that strength for me.

On Wednesday, I met my friend, Brittany, for breakfast in Clermont prior to my cystoscopy appointment with my urologist. I stand corrected, Clermont is neither podunk, nor bumfuck (lol that correction is for you, Britt). It was great to catch up with her at breakfast and be distracted from my forthcoming doctor appointment.  We arrived at my appointment at 9:30am so that I could get a shot of antibiotics an hour before the procedure at 10:30am. Britt waited in the waiting room while I went in the back.  As my nurse mixed the antibiotics in a syringe with some kind of numbing agent, I let her know that my friend would be coming back with me for the procedure. My nurse seemed concerned and wanted me to make sure my friend knew that I would be exposed (umm, how else are you going to stick a scope up my urethra?) Once she was done shaking the syringe, I rolled up my shirt sleeve. To my surprise, she said, "I have to give this to you in your buttock". So, I dropped my pants and underwear. Apparently, it's painful and the butt check offers the biggest muscle to inject it into. I smiled and laughed to myself as I walked back out to the waiting room to join Brittany. I let her know what happened. My ass cannot catch a break!

Before I got into position, the nurse said it won't hurt and would only take two minutes. Soon enough, I found myself sitting on the exam table with my feet in the stirrups and nothing but a modesty paper covering me below the waist.  The nurse rubbed me with something to numb the subject area. I can only describe what I felt next as a shot in my pee hole! WHAT THE FUCK! I do not know what caused that pain (was it a needle to numb me further or something else like a clamp to hold my urethra in position?). I didn't ask either. Just thinking about it again makes me short of breath. Brittany let me hold her hand and I know her presence helped me endure the craziness of a cystoscopy. The nurse told me not to get off the table while she went to get the doctor (haha). Once the doctor put the scope in me, we were able to see my bladder on the screen. They pumped sterile water into my bladder. There was notable abnormal inflammation and lines he said indicate that I strain to urinate (I don't think I do).  We did not find the fistula. The scope was super uncomfortable and he let it drop out when they stopped pumping the water, so then he re-inserted it back in which seemed awkward. Normally, I don't seek company at my appointments, but this is one I am fortunate Brittany was there to help me through it! Thank you, Britt!!!

This week I will finish all of my pre-op testing on Tuesday by getting lab work, a chest x-ray and a cystogram. Hopefully, a cystogram will be nothing compared to a cystoscopy. After that, the only appointments left before surgery are my call with a Cleveland Clinic pre-op nurse on November 22nd and my stoma marking appointment at the Cleveland Clinic on November 28th.