.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Details for the Big Day

By this time next week, the surgery will be complete and I will be in recovery. I am scared of the unknown. We don't know what the results are going to be. I won't know the results until I wake up from surgery. My gut is telling me the results are not going to be the results I want. My gut is a bastard though. The anticipation becomes heavier with each passing day.

I had a pre-op phone call with my nurse at the Cleveland Clinic today to work out all of the details for the big day.  This is what I know:

Tuesday, November 28, 2017
  • CLEAR LIQUID DIET ALL DAY
  • 1pm: Stoma marking appointment at the Cleveland Clinic.
  • While I'm at the Cleveland Clinic for the stoma marking I also have to get blood typing done.
  • 2pm: Take the first of two rounds of antibiotics
  • 3pm: Take 3 Dulcoax tablets.
  • 5pm: Mix 238 grams of Miralax with 64oz. of Gatorade. Drink 8oz. every 15 minutes.
  • 10pm: Take last round of antibiotics.
  • NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
  • NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK
  • Shower using regular soap.
  • Shower using Hibiclens (an antiseptic skin cleanser) from head to toe spending at least five minutes on my torso area before rinsing off.
  • 5:30am: Check-in at Cleveland Clinic hospital, unless they call me and reschedule the time.

Surgery is estimated to take about 5 hours. It's going to be a laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy and they will insert a catheter and place ureteral stents during surgery and the stents will be removed before surgery is complete. Possibly sub-total colectomy. Possibly open surgery. Possibly temporary or permanent ileostomy or possibly temporary or permanent colostomy.
  • Once surgery is complete they will talk with my posse in the waiting room.
  • Expected to be in an intensive recovery room for about an hour and a half after surgery before they move me to the room I'll be staying in for the remainder of stay.
  • Estimated to be in the hospital for 5-7 days and the Dr. might advise me to stay in town for a period of time after I'm released before I can travel home.
  • The catheter will be removed a few days after surgery.
  • I'll have a pain pump to squeeze and control my pain medicine after surgery.
  • I'll have to do deep inhalation breathing exercises after surgery.