.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

"Run often. Run long. But never outrun your joy for running."

I have a lot going on that I'm not mentally prepared to blog about yet. Let's talk about running instead.

We are already nineteen days into the new year, and so far I've only ran twice this year. The first time was at the marathon I ran on the eighth and the second time being this morning. To tell the truth, I needed a break from running. I trained hard for more than six months and towards the end of last year I wasn't enjoying it as much I usually do. I felt a burnt out. It felt like a chore. I don't know who said "Run often. Run long. But never out run your joy for running.", but they are right! Maybe it was post race blues, or maybe I was over training. 

Anyway, the break did me good. I signed up for the next session of MarathonFest, which started this week. I woke up at 4AM and made it to the early run with my trusted running crew today. I needed the run this morning. I have been so stressed about my uncle's death, my crazy work schedule, and fighting a cold that the hour of running this morning helped relieve some stress.  After my run this morning, I went to the gym to shower and get ready for work. OMG! I forgot my shower shoes, so I decided showering at the gym in socks would be better than showing bare foot. I put my disgustingly soaked soaks in the trash when I was done. It was a nightmare and now I'm super worried my feet are going to get funky. As soon as I got home tonight I put my shower shoes in my gym bag and scrubbed my feet clean. I will never forget them again!!!

Although I'm not training for anything specific this session (except a few 5Ks, but I don't count those as races I have to train for), I'm sure I'll find some half marathons to run before the session ends in May. I'm looking forward to running for fun again!