.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Mystery Pain

After I got home from work on Friday, I went to the bathroom to take a crap like usual. I would consider it a fairly decent bowel movement, but for some reason it left me in so much pain that I had trouble standing up from the toilet. The pain was coming from inside my rectum and it felt almost like I had a sharp edged turd begging to be let out. I hobbled my way out of the bathroom and into the family room where my sister, Kelly, sat. She knew by the sound of my footsteps that something was wrong before I even entered the room. Once she took a look at me and saw how much pain I was in, her first response was, "Do we need to get you to the hospital?" Of course, I waived off the suggestion. Kelly helped me to my bed, and then brought me some water and pain meds.

Inside my butt was in extreme discomfort and it was so bad that I thought I felt slight agony towards my vagina, too. Staying still in bed seemed to take the edge off a bit. I was at a loss of what was happening and Kelly simply said, "It's Crohn's." She was right. It was fucking Crohn's disease. The pain finally subsided about two hours later. I am so glad it happened at home and not while I was at work. Episodes like this scare me even though I act as if it doesn't phase me. It makes me question my quest for independence and my ability to fully take care of myself in the future. 75 % of Crohn's patients will require surgery.  With my disease history it's likely I'll be part of that 75% one day, but not today.

I woke up Saturday morning with no signs of the pain I experienced the night before, so I laced up and went for an outstanding two mile run at a 10 minute and 48 second pace per mile! Already attaining that pace only two weeks into training has me pumped!