.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

My First Day at Wharton-Smith, Inc.

I meant to write this post Monday night, but I went to bed right after dinner because I was not feeling well. I pooped my brains out and then I slept for over 11 hours. I felt better on Tuesday, thankfully. Now somehow it's Thursday and I'm just getting around to it...

I always wondered if higher paying jobs were really more work. In this case, it is certainly more work mentally. I'm learning lots and loving every minute of it. The details, organization, and responsibility involved are exciting. I'm pretty much shadowing my supervisor, Kim V. until I get the hang of things. She seems like an awesome lady! The work she does is impressive and I can't wait to learn all of her payroll ways!   She has given me a few projects already to work on. I love it because she is not a micro manager. She showed me what to do, then gave me the project to complete and said just ask if I had any questions. She will be checking my work afterwards until I fully know what I'm doing, but it's nice to have that freedom to do it by myself. There isn't any unnecessary hovering, which is opposite of Classic Mazda. I love that it feels like she already trusts me! I have seen things this week that made my eyes pop with the outstanding realization that I am responsible for highly sensitive information. I certainly don't take that lightly.

Everyone in the office is super nice! Most of the ladies are around my age and are either having kids or getting married. lol I'd say there are about 15 people in the Payroll, Accounting/Finance, and HR area where I work and there are way more people in other areas of the building. As far as Payroll goes, it's just Kim V. and myself. On any given week we will be processing payroll for 450-500 employees.

Soon enough I'll be Kim V.'s right hand gal for everything. I have to be fully trained by September because she is taking off for two weeks to get married!

P.S. I knew I was going to love this job right away once I went to the bathroom for the first time because they keep a poopourri and a febreeze bottle in the single stall bathroom.  At Mazda, I just went into the men's room whenever I had to take a crap so that if anyone smelled anything they would think it was one of the guys.  Now I have absolutely no stress about going to the bathroom at work. It's awesome