.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Rough News and a Shitty Run

My mom had an eye appointment a couple weeks ago and she found out that diabetes has worsened her eyesight. She took the news pretty hard and was a bitch while she digested the news. She didn't really talk about it, but was angry at everyone regardless. It was unsettling to me because no matter what bad news I get about my own health issues, I do not take it out on others. In my opinion, she acted like a child. Well, last week she went to a different eye doctor to get a second opinion. This doctor noticed it was her peripheral vision that was affected and ordered her to get an MRI because sudden loss of peripheral vision can indicate a stroke.  She got the MRI and will get the result this Thursday. In the mean time, she is not allowed to drive. Thankfully, she has taken this news in stride. Although I can't imagine how frustrating it would be not to be able to drive. As much as we butt heads I never wish for anything bad to happen to her. I love her even if our relationship is twisted. We had a family meeting and so far everyone's taking turns driving her around.

I had a really shitty run on Saturday. I was already unmotivated Friday night because the weather report said it was going to be raining Saturday morning. I found the following quote to help motivate me: It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.  I started my eight mile run as soon as the sun came up. Surprisingly, it didn't rain, but the overcast created wicked sticky humidity to run through. After three miles, I took off my shirt and wrung it out because it was drenched in sweat. I need to start working out my abs so that I feel comfortable running in just a sports bra. By mile five, I was ready to quit and that's when "it's hard to beat a person who never gives up" popped into my head as motivation. After six miles, I wanted to cry. Running is hard and it's easy to forget that sometimes. I slowed my pace way down and walked more often than I probably should have, but I somehow managed to log eight miles. Even though it was a shitty run, runs like that will make me stronger and mentally tougher. Hopefully, next time I won't want to quit or cry.  Running is a love/hate relationship.