.

Friday, December 22, 2017

My Eight Day Hospital Stay

If you think this post is long, try staying in the hospital for eight days. After surgery, I was on a clear liquid diet for two days, a GI soft diet for three days, one day of NPO (nothing by mouth), and then regular hospital food thereafter. My appetite was non-existent. The fact that the food and liquids tasted like shit didn't help.

I had a morphine pump for three days after surgery. There was a button I could press whenever I was in pain to activate the morphine through my IV. I could only press it every ten minutes, which wasn't an issue. I only pressed it once and I don't remember when that was. The nurses constantly told me not to be afraid to press the morphine button. I have experienced far more agony than what I felt in the hospital, so it was difficult for me to determine if I needed pain meds or not. I've pushed through much higher pain levels without medication on my own because Crohn's is fucking torture sometimes. In the hospital, I occasionally moaned in pain, but the pain never brought me to tears and the pain didn't feel debilitating. After they unhooked the morphine pump, they offered me Oxycodone for pain. Again, the nurses told me not to be afraid of it. A couple of friends told me not to be a Martyr. Was I really choosing to suffer in pain rather than admit I was in pain and take the meds? I definitely experienced pain in the hospital, but I didn't think it was that bad because I've felt worse before and managed it without any pain meds.  I think I accepted Oxy three different times.

I took my first couple of walks on Thursday, the day after surgery. To make matters more complicated, my period started on Thursday. I needed help to sit up. My abs had no strength.  It was a process to unhook my compression calf sleeves that plug in and inflate and organize all of the IVs, cords, and tubes so I could walk. Taylor walked with me. Standing up felt weird. I don't know how else to describe it. My belly felt different and sore. Actually, my whole body was sore and stiff. They took out my catheter and my mom helped me out of bed whenever I had to pee. One time, I hollered out of the bathroom to the nurse, "Something is coming out of my butt!" To my surprise, the mucus coming out of my old asshole was normal and expected. I later found out that my new asshole, the loop ileostomy, has two holes.  One hole for waste that collects in the ostomy pouch and another hole, which is considered a fistula, to secrete mucus through my lower intestines and out of my old asshole. Yes, I now have two assholes and stuff comes out of both of them. I can't make this shit up. It's a nightmare I didn't know existed. On the positive side, a loop ileostomy is always temporary.

Friday, the doctors realized there was a miscommunication. My catheter should not have been removed, so it needed to be re-inserted. Sure, the nursing student shadowing the nurse can do it. She didn't seem very confident, but she figured it out after asking the nurse to help her. The catheter made one more thing to carry with me on my walks. We tied a glove to the bottom of the IV stand so I could wheel it with me on my walks. Why don't they have a wheeled stand suitable to hold a catheter?  I had three visitors on Friday, Badass Doreen, Sas, and Bonnie. They all happened to show up within minutes of each other around 11am. I felt loved and their well wishes lifted my spirits. Sas and Bonnie stayed about an hour. Badass Doreen was awesome and went to lunch with my mom so that I could take a nap. I woke up in the early afternoon moaning in pain. For my entire stay at the hospital, the nurse techs came by every few hours to take my vitals and empty my JP, catheter, and ileostomy. When the nurse tech took my temperature Friday evening, I had a 103 degree fever! I think they gave me Tylenol. My head hurt worse than my stomach at that point. Thankfully, Doreen was there for me and my mom. I think it took a while for my fever to break, but I don't remember when it did. I do know that Doreen left around 9pm and my mom stayed the night with me.

I don't remember much from Saturday and Sunday (I probably slept 85% of the time at the hospital), except that I had a 102.7 degree fever around 8:30pm on Sunday I think they gave me Tylenol again for the fever. I'm not sure when the fever broke. On Monday, I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything. The nurses even stopped my IVs and stopped giving me the routine meds I was getting because I couldn't have water to swallow them down.  The reason they gave me for being NPO was so that they could run tests to figure out what was causing the fevers. I found out later that it was likely in case they needed to take me back into surgery based on the results of the tests. Monday was the hardest day in the hospital. There I was trying to recover from surgery. I was already dehydrated and weak and they wouldn't let me eat or drink anything. I pressed my call button multiple times begging for some water or ice. "Bring me some fucking water!" My mouth felt as dry as a desert. My lips are still cracked at the corners from that day. It took them all day to take me to have two tests done and get blood cultures. The blood cultures came back okay. The first test, a cystogram, was done around 5pm. It was pretty easy since I already had a catheter in. Afterwards, the nurses and my mom wanted me to walk. Ha! I was so thirsty that I refused to walk if they couldn't give me water. Asking me to walk was bullshit.  After the cystogram they hooked me up to an IV for antibiotics, but I still wasn't allowed to eat or drink. They took me to get a CT scan with an enema contrast right before midnight. By this point I was pissed, annoyed, thirsty, and hangry. Moving on and off the CT table with only one person helping me was a struggle and it hurt my stomach.  When the tech was inserting the enema tip for the barium contrast, I realized that my stricture closest to my rectum was still there. No wonder the ostomy is temporary! I advised the tech of my stricture and the pain the large tip (lol) was causing in my anus. (Don't worry, I've already accepted that anal will never be for me.) I was happy once the CT was over, but disappointed that I had to wait for the results before they would clear me to eat and drink. When I got back to my hospital room after midnight, I slept until morning. I was completely drained. The blood cultures, cystogram, and CT results all came back okay. We never found out what caused the fevers. I think it was just my body trying to heal and recover. It was on overload. Although looking back, I would be curious to know if the fevers were a result of taking the pain meds. Even though I lost it a couple of times on Monday, I tried to hold it together and I was a lot nicer than I wanted to be. 

By Tuesday, it started to feel like I would never get out of the hospital. It didn't matter that my appetite increased a little because every time a meal came, the nurse tech decided to come in and empty my JP, catheter, and ileostomy and then suddenly I wasn't hungry anymore.  Eventually, I got the bright idea to start asking the nurse tech to wait until I finished eating. Taylor visited me, brought dry shampoo, and did my hair. I love her! I didn't shower the entire time I was in the hospital. They helped me wipe myself down, but that's just not the same as a shower. I walked six times on Tuesday! Yet again, I had another fever Tuesday night. This time it was only 101 degrees and it came down quickly after I took Tylenol.  When my doctor and his team made their rounds early Wednesday morning, they let me know that if I can go 24 hours without a fever they will discharge me on Thursday. I walked six times on Wednesday, too.

Around 4:30am Thursday morning, the nurse tech took my temperature with a reading of 100 degrees. Knowing I wouldn't be discharged if I had a fever, I asked the tech to take my temperature again since I didn't feel like I had a fever. The tech immediately took my temperature again with a reading of 98.4 degrees. I don't understand how the thermometer can give those two different readings in a matter of seconds. We went with the second reading. Around 6am, my doctor and his team let me know that I would be discharged! It's a slow process to get discharged. The pharmacy had to fill my prescription, the ostomy nurse had to change my pouch and give me supplies so that I could change it on my own, and my nurse had to get all of the discharge instructions in order. When it was finally time to ditch the hospital around 1pm, my mom helped me change out of my butt flap gown and she put my socks and shoes on me. I was overwhelmed with emotion as I moved from the hospital bed to the wheelchair. I cried a little as the nurse wheeled me down to the car my dad pulled around. Other than that, I didn't cry in the hospital. I left the hospital with the JP and catheter and I had follow-up appointments the following week to have them removed.

I survived my first hospital stay due to Crohn's disease. I've had some terrible Crohn's days in the past fifteen years and it makes me wonder how I managed to avoid the hospital until surgery. The surgery, hospital stay, and staying in a hotel afterwards were the most difficult two weeks of my life. The results of the surgery were better than I expected going into it. Although I shouldn't be surprised it went so well because I had the best surgeon! The support from my family and friends meant the world to me! They are absolutely amazing! They made sure I knew I wasn't going through this alone.

When I need motivation, I blast this song: https://youtu.be/8hkmuTvkp_s