.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Takeaway from 2013

            For me, 2013 was a year of growth as every year should be. I experienced failure and I got to taste success. I was fortunate enough to cross a couple things off my bucket list, which inspired me to dream bigger dreams. I learned to better enjoy doing things by myself and live with a zest for life. I can testify that the human body is amazing no matter how dysfunctional it can sometimes be.

            At the beginning of January 2013 I experienced failure. In Disney's Goofy challenge, I was picked up by the sweeper van at mile 22 in the marathon for not keeping pace. Disappointed by failure is not a good feeling. It hurts when people remind me of it and question my intentions to try again. Obviously, I could write a book on my excuses for not finishing the race, but I thing the more interesting book to read would be about how I let that failure guide me to success. I think about those 4 miles all the time when I'm training. Even though they haunt me, they inspire me. Rather than letting that failure keep me from running another marathon again, I let it turn into a passion to redeem myself. On December 1st, I finished the Space Coast Marathon!  That finish line was so sweet! It took almost a whole year of hard work to redeem myself! I will take that as a lesson in life. If I want something bad enough, I will keep trying!

             I dare to say the highlight of my year was crossing two things off my bucket list! I ran across the Golden Gate Bridge and I went hot air ballooning. Running across the Golden Gate Bridge has been on my bucket list for a really long time. Probably even longer than I've been in love with running. It always seemed like an unreachable dream. I don't think I ever believed that I would ever cross it off the list.  My trip to Napa took me right through San Fransisco! Every step across that bridge was better than I imagined it would be. The view, the water, the city, the wind, the traffic and the feeling of a dream come true that came over me.  It surpassed my expectations! I ran with my hands in the air while I let out a victorious scream for feeling alive! The hot air balloon ride was amazing too, but to compare the two would be unfair. Just because I don't have the means to accomplish a dream or something on my bucket list now doesn't mean I should dream smaller. This summer taught me to dream big dreams anyway with the hope to pursue them in the future. For instance, I want to cage dive with great white sharks! I have a childhood fear of the ocean and sharks, so this would be huge.

             In the past, I usually thought in order to do anything fun I needed to be doing it with someone else. This year I learned to enjoy doing fun things by myself when nobody was around to join me. I went hot air ballooning by myself and it was followed by a champagne breakfast! If I can't be confident enough to romance myself, how can I expect someone else to. I had the time of my life! Not once did I feel lonely. I found myself enjoying my own company. After all, I'm pretty dang awesome! Plus, when I do things alone, I get to do whatever I want. I'm easy going, but I liked not having to compromise. I also ventured to see movies by myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In the future, I want to be brave enough to do more things by myself.  I still love doing things with others, but doing things by myself is quite liberating!

             If you asked me what I thought about the human body in 2012, I would have said it sucks! Since recovering from rock bottom my opinion has changed.  I went from being in debilitating pain to actually being able to function. I've gained back a wicked amount of muscle and sometimes it's easy to forget how far I've come. It's easy to just focus on the bad days and the things that are small in comparison to what I've been through. However, when I look at the bigger picture, the human body is really an amazing thing.  I need to remember this.

I'm not sure what 2014 holds for me, but I do know that I hope it's another year of greatness!