.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Another Year, Another Semester

           In just about a week my next semester at U.C.F. will be underway. It's difficult to believe that I already have 4 semesters at U.C.F. under my belt. During my previous semesters I only took two classes at a time. That's about to change because this coming semester I'll be taking three classes: Legal and Ethical Environment of Business, Quantitative Business Tools II and Financial Models. One of which will be my first senior level class, Financial Models. I think I'm ready for all of the hard work this semester will require. I just have to square away my financial aid and buy/rent my textbooks.

           After this spring semester, I'll only need six more classes in order to graduate with a bachelor's in finance. I've been going back and forth on whether to graduate in December 2014 or May 2015.  A 2014 graduation means full speed ahead with no time for a break that's longer than a week until graduation. It would take commitment on my part to finish strong and I would have to be willing to put work on the back burner if necessary so that I could really give my best effort in school.  I want to maintain my high grades in case I later decide to apply for graduate school.  A 2015 graduation wouldn't be as intense because I'd be able to spread out the load. The downside would be taking 5 additional months to graduate.

           I have decided against getting an internship. Mostly because of health insurance reasons. At the moment I get my insurance through my job by working full time. I could also get insured through U.C.F. if I take a certain number of credit hours. Most of the internships worthwhile are full time and don't offer insurance to interns. If they do, the insurance costs more than I'd be making at the internship, which leaves me in a predicament. If I'm a full time intern, that means I won't be able to get insurance through my current employer. If I'm a full time intern, I won't be able to maintain the credit hours needed to get insurance through U.C.F.  I've looked at part time internships, but the ones that interest me don't pay enough to pay my bills, medical or otherwise.  On the bright side, by avoiding an internship I'm able to graduate sooner!  If future employers discriminate against me for not having an internship, then I'm going to believe that company isn't right for me.