.

Monday, May 29, 2017

My Maid of Honor Speech

My Maid of Honor Speech went something like this...

Hello everyone!

For those of you that don’t know me, my name is Lauren and Taylor is my best friend.
I want to take a moment to thank Taylor for entrusting me to be her Maid of Honor.
When I first met Taylor in 2011 in Meteorology class at Valencia College, I thought she was peculiar. I honestly had no idea she was going to be as important to me as she is today. You see, I had a free period before Meteorology, so I sat on the floor in the hallway outside of the classroom listening to music while I waited for the Professor to open the room.  Along came Taylor, she walked right up, sat down next to me, and started talking. Umm, hello… could she not see I had headphones in listening to music clearly not wanting to be disturbed?  After rolling my eyes, I hesitantly took out one earbud to hear her. 
Once the Professor unlocked the classroom, I found a seat. Guess what she did?  In a classroom filled with empty seats, she sat right next me. She didn’t even leave an empty curtesy seat between us. As the Professor introduced himself and went over the syllabus, Taylor persistently tapped me on my shoulder to get my attention to talk to me some more. I didn’t know what to do, so I grabbed a pack of gum out of my backpack and offered her a piece in the hopes it would get her to stop talking. It didn’t.

A couple of weeks later, she invited me to her birthday party at Blueman Group. At this point, I thought she was a super friendly person that invites strangers to her birthday parties. Although I still didn’t feel like I knew her, I accepted her invitation because I wanted to see Blueman Group.  I will never live down the fact that I didn’t get her a birthday card.

We began regularly eating lunch together at school and hanging out afterwards. We went on adventures; we planked, went pumpkin picking, and paintballing. Before I knew it, Taylor was my best friend. Now we are stuck like glue. It’s no secret that Taylor and I are completely different and yet the same. It’s hard to explain, but I’ll try. She’s a girly girl and I’m a tomboy, yet we both watch “Say Yes to the Dress” when she has the remote control. She drives slower and I drive faster, but we both get to where we are going. She’s married and I’m single, yet we both used to have a cat.

Flash forward to today. Taylor is the most amazing woman I know. She has a heart of gold.  She loves selflessly. She’s ambitious; she works hard to make her dreams come true. She’s dependable; you can always count on her to be there whenever you need her.  She’s also spirited; and Kenny I know you know how incredible your beautiful bride is…after all, you put a ring on it! 

The first time I met Kenny was in 2012. While Taylor and I were roommates a super tall guy visited.  During his visit, the three of us went to Universal Studios.  A few things stand out to me from that day. Kenny made Taylor smile, a lot. Throughout the day at Universal they had stolen many glances at each other. It was crowded, but they couldn’t lose me because thankfully tall people are where you meet when you get lost in a crowd.  Kenneth, I know you will take care of my bestie. Remember, I know where you live.

I know I’m supposed to offer up some relationship advice. But, I’m single and I like cats, so… here goes nothing.

Kenny, never stop being her prince charming. Pamper her and make her happy. When everything else in the world is uncertain, be her rock. Challenge her to be a better person. Don’t be afraid to compromise. Encourage her to step outside her comfort zone. Love her unconditionally; you are the sparkle in her eyes.

Taylor, never stop dating him. Spoil him and make him dinner. When everything in the world is negative, be his positive light. Challenge him to be a better man. Don’t be afraid to compromise.  Be his best friend. Love him unconditionally; don’t lose that sparkle in your eyes.

As we raise our glasses to toast the bride and groom I’d like to ask Taylor and Kenny to take a moment and look into each other’s eyes. Take it in and take a breath. Remember tonight; remember tonight for it is the beginning of always. Here’s to the Mr. and Mrs.